Lily's chocolate black walnut dairy-free we-can't-call-it-ice-cream
Arguably better than the real thing and vegan too! This recipe makes about 1.5 pints of dairy-free frozen dessert. The number of servings depends on whether one considers a pint to be a reasonably-sized single serving…..
Ingredients and Supplies:
- (1) ~14 oz. can of full-fat coconut milk
- 2/3 c water
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup pea protein powder
- 1 c. black walnuts
- Ice cream maker plus anything needed to operate the ice cream maker
- Freezer-safe container(s) with lid(s) – recipe makes ~1.5 pints
- Bring water to boil in the saucepan.
- Add the salt and sugar to the water while letting the water continue to boil and stir until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved.
- Turn off heat.
- Add the cocoa powder and pea protein powder to the saucepan and mix to form a chocolate sauce of uniform consistency.
- Add the coconut milk to the saucepan and mix until uniform.
- Pour the mixture into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker.
- Add the black walnuts to the mixture in the freezer bowl.
- Process per ice cream maker manufacturer’s directions until the mixture has the consistency of soft ice cream.
- Load the mostly-frozen mixture into a freezer safe container(s) with a lid and freeze for at least an additional two hours, which should bring the mixture to the consistency of hard ice cream.
- Serve (or eat yourself) and enjoy!