At 590 State Route 14, Penn Yan, NY, Black Squirrel Farms collects and processes the black walnuts that grow on our land as well as those from other local growers in partnership with our affiliates. We operate an onsite Airbnb and we plan to open our site for tours, inviting the public to come learn about history and promise of the black walnut tree. We’re developing and implementing black walnut processing in our new building. Current job openings are as follows:
Summer Tour Guide and/or Black Walnut Processor and/or Site Steward
Are you planning to spend the summer in the Finger Lakes? We are looking for help in three broad categories. Apply to help us out in any or all areas.
- We are looking for tour guides to teach people about the history and promise of the black walnut tree, a unique North American renewable resource. This is perfect for someone who enjoys interacting with people and organizing and coordinating group activities.
- We are looking for help restoring and maintaining our site which would include duties such as driving a mower or tractor, garden maintenance, removal of invasive species or other site or building maintenance tasks. This would be a good fit for who someone who enjoys and has some experience working outdoors and an interest in sustainability.
- We are looking for help processing black walnuts in our new building. This is a mostly-indoors job which would be a good fit for someone who prefers minimal interaction with the general public and is interested in the details and process of creating a new healthy food option for people.
Any role may also include assisting with the sales of black walnut or nutshell products and nutshell processing. One or more of these roles could be of particular interest to an ecology, biology, agriculture, food science or communications majors. Hourly wage for all roles is $15.00/hr and we offer considerable schedule flexibility. We can customize schedules and duties around other commitments and we may be willing to guarantee to a minimum number of hours per week depending on an applicant’s individual need or situation. An arrangement not based on hourly wage may be possible for a particularly qualified tour guide and such an arrangement would be determined on a case by case basis.
While Tyler Seneca Land and Cattle, LLC (doing business in Yates County, NY as Black Squirrel Farms) is non-discriminatory based on age, race or gender, successful applicants must be occupationally qualified to perform the duties of the job. Applicants unable to produce the legally required information listed below before starting work will not be considered.
- Driver’s license
- Name (first, middle initial, last)
- Address (street, city, state, and ZIP code)
- Social Security Number
- Completed Federal form I-9
Applicants are requested to be supportive of a pre-hire background check, provide one or more references and provide verification of past or current employment if requested. These roles are seasonal and come with no guarantee of long-term continuity but may be voluntarily continued based on future business opportunities and conditions and the ongoing interest of both parties. Violation of safety policy is not tolerated and grounds for dismissal.
If you are interested in any open role, complete our indication of interest and preemployment screening survey. Access to this survey will close when available roles are filled. Questions about these roles can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.